Can you save money with a local veg. box?

I found a local veg. box company Cambridge Organic Food Company and ordered a veg. box for 16.45 pounds a week. All organic from local farmers near Cambridge.

Was it cheaper than the supermarket? Nearly! It had: 3 banana, 6 pears, 3 apples, 4 satsumas, 6 tomatoes, 4 parsnips, 140g mushrooms, 1 kg potatoes, 520 g onions, 200g chard, 110 g lettuce, 500g carrots. I checked the Sainsburys website and they would have charged 12.50 for the same.

Considering that I would probably have unknowingly chosen out-of season veg. from Sainsburys, probably buying my veg. from Sainsburys would cost me more, because I'd have chosen peppers or something that's only grown in Kenya or New Zealand and therefore costs 5 pounds!

And the local veg. box has veg. in paper bags, no nasty plastic! Also saves on air miles.

The organic thing I'm not so sure of, but people say it means less pesticide use (better for bees), and better care of the soil (see this article in The Washington Post).

Another thing is that the organic food tastes really good! The apples are amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can you save money by drying clothes on a washing line?

The Great British September Clean is on...

Can you save money using recycled toilet paper and recycled tissues?